Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Five Barley Loaves and Two Small Fish


John 6:5-9 NKJV

Then Jesus lifted up His eyes, and seeing a great multitude coming toward Him, He said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?” But this He said to test him, for He Himself knew what He would do. Philip answered Him, “Two hundred denarii worth of bread is not sufficient for them, that every one of them may have a little.” One of His disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to Him, “There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two small fish, but what are they among so many?”

Sometimes I think what I give or do is not of much value.  I am not a great speaker nor will I ever write a bestselling Christian book or stand before coliseums full of unsaved people preaching the Gospel.  There are too many hungry people both physically and spiritually, what difference can I make? I can easily think like Philip and Andrew; “What I have is insufficient.”



 
Then Jesus said, “Make the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand. And Jesus took the loaves, and when He had given thanks He distributed them to the disciples, and the disciples to those sitting down; and likewise of the fish, as much as they wanted. So when they were filled, He said to His disciples, “Gather up the fragments that remain, so that nothing is lost.” Therefore they gathered them up, and filled twelve baskets with the fragments of the five barley loaves which were left over by those who had eaten. (John 6:10-13 NKJV)


The beautiful thing is I do not have to be a famous evangelist or a man with deep pockets. What little I give He can multiply and do wondrous things.  I do not have to solve the world’s problems, just be faithful to the Lord with what I have.

13 comments:

  1. Well said! Imagine if all of us who belong to Christ felt like this. Whatever we have is all Christ wants. So simple yet what you said impacted me greatly. I just need to allow Christ to multiply what little I have. He can do a lot with our little! Thanks you, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken -

    There are people that you impact and influence that you know not of - yet. When you get to heaven, more will be revealed...

    In the meantime, I like your shine, my brother in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! I needed this reminder today. Very well said. God is the multiplier...He can take my little bit and make it a lot. So good to know it's not all about me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ken,
    What a wonderful post and a timely reminder for me. God can multiply what I do.

    God bless you bro,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen!!! God makes us able, we just have to be willing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ken, I think this is one of the greatest lessons I learned from my son with Down syndrome and multiple disabilities. He made such a huge impact on people by simply smiling! Loved your post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this to be a humble, but yet very POWERFUL POST . . . Bro! Thank you!

    God's Blessings to you my friend,

    Lon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken,
    This was really so nice. It is so true that we just never know what impact we may have on others (or, more accurately, the impact God will have through us). It's like dropping a pebble into a pond - the ripples will go on and on - sometimes seen now, sometimes not seen this side of eternity.

    Keep up your faithful work - God is already multiplying it.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the point is to use whatever God-given talents each of us possess to glorify Him. And to enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new on your blog. Your words are simple, yet full of truth and power.

    As I was reading your post, an old favorite song of mine kept coming back to mind - Ordinary People.

    God uses ordinary people who are willing to give Him their all.

    Blessings on you Ken as you desire to make an impact wherever God sends you.

    Blessings,
    Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ken,

    Thank you for sharing these words that speak with humility and honesty. This is my first visit to your blog and I'm thankful to find another brother in Christ in this global Christian community.

    I was just reading about this the other day in Mark 6 (v30-44). What struck me is how easy it is for me to look at a situation and think, I can't make a difference, or This can't be done.

    I'm learning to see things through the eyes of Christ, trusting Him to do what I cannot without Him.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful Post! Continue to let God use you for his Glory.

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in spam, I have enabled comment moderation. Any spam messages will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.