Monday, January 24, 2011

What If You Lost Everything?

Would you still worship God?

That is a very good question to pounder. At times we all have had losses to some degree or another. But what if one day everything was taken from you… your money, your home, your cars, your friends and family all gone. Would you still worship God?

Look at the news Job received one day in Job chapter 1:

Job 1:14b-15 … “Your oxen were plowing, with the donkeys feeding beside them, when the Sabeans raided us. They stole all the animals and killed all the farmhands. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

Job 1:16b …“The fire of God has fallen from heaven and burned up your sheep and all the shepherds. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

Job 1:17b …“Three bands of Chaldean raiders have stolen your camels and killed your servants. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

Job1:18b-19 …“Your sons and daughters were feasting in their oldest brother’s home. Suddenly, a powerful wind swept in from the wilderness and hit the house on all sides. The house collapsed, and all your children are dead. I am the only one who escaped to tell you.”

Could you and I respond as Job did?

Then Job arose, tore his robe, and shaved his head; and he fell to the ground and worshiped. And he said:

“ Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked shall I return there.
The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away;
Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
In all this Job did not sin nor charge God with wrong.
Job 1:20-22


It could be very tempting to curse God during our trials. But we must remember; if our name is written in the Lambs Book of Life, God will never leave us of forsake us. He will see us through. I heard someone say once, “in the end (of your trial) everything will be better. If everything is not better yet, then it is not the end.” We serve an awesome God who loves us more that we can even imagine. All we need to do is to look at the Cross of Jesus Christ to see it. Because we live in a fallen world due to sin, we must at time go through some very hard things. But we must remember: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” Rom 8:28


Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.


2 Corinthians 4:16-18

If you have about 3 minutes, please check out the following video from Voice of the Martyrs. It is very fitting for this post. After some 500 Nigerian Christians were killed, their Church and houses burnt in March 2010, see how they responded:



10 comments:

  1. Ken, I'm reading the book of Job right now, and I'm amazed at the way Job responded to God. I want to praise Him no matter what for He is always worthy of my praise. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What If I Lost Everything?
    Would I still worship God?

    "What if" questions are always interesting. in my opinion until one goes through the storm it's not wise to say what you will or will not do.

    One thing I do know, God is faithful even when I am faithless! Bless His Holy Name!!

    2 Timothy 2:13 (King James Version)
    If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

    God bless you and I hope you have a great week.

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I lost everything would I still worship God? I say yes!! I have learned to worship God even when things in my life are nasty. Who else can we turn to that will understand and comfort us? Only God can for He is in control of all and He knows the outcome of all and since He cares for us, like a parent caring for their child, then He will make sure all is right eventually.

    Great post and I am so glad I dropped by.
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this magnificent post!!!

    I will always worship my Lord Jesus Christ no matter what the circumstances may be!!! If I was threatened that I was going to lose my head for keeping my faith in my Lord Jesus, then so be it, for I am here in this body but for a very short time!

    God's Blessings to you my brother in Christ and friend,

    Lon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very thought provoking post! It's interesting to me because I have no home, no car, not much of a job, very little money...and God has provided. He truly is faithful. He has carried me through many storms and trials and brought me safely to the other side. I love this so much, I'm going to write it in my journal tonight:

    “in the end (of your trial) everything will be better. If everything is not better yet, then it is not the end.”


    That really spoke to me.

    I loved the video from Africa. The singing at the end was so beautiful and deeply touching. I was in Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda many years ago and it was definitely an eye opener. This film reminds me of that time. I don't think we in America can truly fathom or appreciate what people go through for the faith. Our version of "Christianity" is almost shameful by comparison. I have always said that it would take a good dose of real persecution to get the Church in America right with God! People go around making claims that they cannot substantiate when times of testing come. I pray that I may continue to stand firm in Him and grow closer to Him each day. Sorry I'm rambling, it's late! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this timely post, as well as the video.

    May many be drawn to Jesus through your blog.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very hard to trust God when he has allowed all that you have to be taken from you and destroyed. But the heart of one who truly belongs to Christ will stand knowing that God will be glorified by our faith! One day, this shall all be ended. Praise God for his strength to us now.

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would still worship him because I would be leaning heavily upon him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would still worship Him because I belong to Him and He belongs to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The people's courage is humbling. The song brought me to my knees. "Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, Oh for grace to trust you more."

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in spam, I have enabled comment moderation. Any spam messages will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.