Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wondering Mind


Photo Credit:   Rivers Wallpaper

Lately, I find my mind wondering off a thousand miles away. I go before the Lord in prayer only to realize I have drifted away. Then I set down to read and know not what I read, so I must re-read. My mind being consumed with things... some good, such as a growing relationship with my girlfriend. This brings me great joy. But… then there is worry. Will the economy crash and burn or not? Will my IRA survive this crazy economy; I do not know what to think or do. It is scary having your retirement invested in what could be a collapsing economy, yet what is one to do? Then my mind is off to something else.

O Lord, what am I to do?



You will keep him in perfect peace,
      Whose mind is stayed on You,
      Because he trusts in You. 
(Isaiah 26:3)



These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” 
(John 16:33)

Do Not Worry
  
25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. 
(Matthew 6:25-34)



12 comments:

  1. Hi Ken,

    Great post; I love your scripture reference! :)

    Sometimes I allow myself to get caught up in too much worry, and then I lose my focus and become distracted from the time I should be spending with God and meditating on His promises! Better to look ahead with faith and trust, thankful for the future that God Himself planned long ago.

    Blessings and hugs!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,
    Funny, last night before bed I read that same passage in Mathew about worrying. I think we all struggle with keeping our focus during our time with the Lord in prayer and study which are essentially our communication with our Lord.
    Those wandering thoughts are like interception. Thankfully the Holy Spirit operates as intercession, Rom.8:26-"Likewise the Spirit also helps our weakness: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought but the Spirit himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

    Have a great weekend, God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ken, lately I too have found it hard to focus....my mind has been wandering and prayer and writing have not flowed as they once had. But this too shall pass, I believe. Sometimes God just want us to stop reflect :-) Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ken,

    Love this picture!
    I too have times like this sometimes, like Never Forsaken, I give the wandering thoughts to God in intercession and other times I take it as a signal from God to rest in Him.

    Blessings,
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the verse in Isaiah, Ken. He will keep us in perfect peace if we keep our eyes and hearts on Him. We just need to focus on God and let Him worry about the rest. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are two verses that have helped me a GREAT DEAL:

    "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psalm 55:22 (King James Version)

    "THERE is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 8:1 (King James Version)

    Hope this was of some help as well.

    God's blessings to you my brother in Christ and friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ken, Thank you. I have had the same problem of my mind wandering as I start to pray. Playing some praise music is one thing that helps me, singing to the Lord or reading the Bible out loud. I appreciate the verses you quoted. Things have really gotten worse in this area with stores and businesses closing and an increase in burglaries and scams. God reminds me that He is my source and my strength - not any person or program, but how I thank Him for brothers and sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken, I too have had problems focusing when in prayer, or when getting down to read the Word.

    One thing I do now, is to come to both with a notepad. Anything that distracts me, I write it down and then I pray over it afterwards, or I pray about it the instance it comes into my mind.

    I believe God wants us to bring ALL our concerns to Him, as and when they occur, in order that He can be included in all aspects of our life.

    As we continually stand on the assurance of Matthew 6:25-34, it will eventually become as second nature, not too worry, as our mind is renewed to it.

    Have a blessed week,
    Carole in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ken- it's exactly what I needed to read tonight. I've been distracted too lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This happens to me, too, Ken! It's so vital that we cling to Jesus or we could let worry overtake us. Sigh.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know that verse, in Isaiah 26:3 is true. I didn't understand how true it was until now. When you know life is all beyond anything you can do, you just give up. Then when you leave it with God, and He does work it out. My peace is so good now, because I trust so much more that He is able. Much love Crystal Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah yes, the wandering mind...

    How often I battle that pesky inability to focus on the Lord's peace in the middle of the many things that try to distract me from His truth.

    Joining you in the struggle - and using God's Word to battle against the tendencies of my wayward thoughts and errant feelings.

    Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete

Due to an increase in spam, I have enabled comment moderation. Any spam messages will be deleted. Thank you for understanding.